(646) 983-2670 Charlie@luckydog.nyc

This is a plant that is found commonly at Christmas time in homes and building lobbies as a decoration.  Most people do not realize that they are mildly poisonous to animals.  Ingestion of the sap of the plant, specifically the diterpenes within it, can cause the dog to paw at its mouth or shake it’s head as it stings the skin.  The sap can also have a dermatological effect on the skin or eyes.  Rarely are exposures significant enough to require medical attention but should be cleaned off immediately to limit exposure.  Symptoms can include:

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Mild Diarrhea
  • Redness
  • Itching
  • Swelling
  • Mild Conjunctivitis