1) This article will apply to the entire state except areas with a population of over two million people, with the exceptions in this paragraph.
2) Any dog that is owned by a resident of a city with more than two million people or a non-resident, they shall be exempt from licensing for a period of thirty days.
3) Any dog that is kept for medical research or in treatment at an animal hospital is exempt from licensing.
4) Any dog being kept by a licensed Class A Dealer of dogs under the Federal Laboratory Welfare Act, assuming the breeder has a certificate of exemption, will be exempt from licensing.
5) Nothing in this article will prevent a municipality from creating its own program to control dangerous dogs. Also, no program shall regulate any dog by specific breed.