1) Adoption means the delivery of a pet to a person at least eighteen years of age for the purposes of harboring a dog or cat.
5) Dog refers to any member of the species cains familiaris.
6) Dog control officer means a person hired by the municipality to enforce this article or agents or employees of an incorporated humane society or similar incorporated dog protective association to enforce this article.
7) Domestic animal covers a large range of animals that does not include dogs. 8) Euthanize means to humanely bring about death.
9) Guide dog refers to a dog that is trained to assist a person who is blind and then actually used for that purpose. or any dog owned by a recognized guide dog training center for the time the dog is being trained or bred.
10) Harbor means to provide food and shelter.
11) Identification Tag means a tag that holds a specific identification number. Identified Dog means a dog carrying an identification tag as set forth in section 112.
14) Owner means any person who harbors or keeps a dog.
16) Owner of Record means the last person who was on the last issued license, as long as the person is at least eighteen years of age. If the person is not eighteen, then the parent or guardian shall be deemed Owner of Record.
17) A person shall be an individual, corporation, partnership, association, or organized group of individuals.
18) Police Work Dog a dog owned or harbored by any state, municipal or federal law enforcement agency that has been trained to aid law enforcement and is actually used for police work.
20) War Dog means a dog that has been honorably discharged from the United States Armed Services.
21) Hearing Dog means a dog that is trained to aid a person with hearing disabilities blind and then actually used for that purpose. or any dog owned by a recognized dog training center for the time the dog is being trained or bred.
22) Service Dog means a dog that has or is being trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, as defined by subdivision 21 of section 292 of the executive law.
24) Dangerous Dog means any dog that attacks without justification or that a reasonable person believes poses a serious and unjustified imminent threat of serious physical injury or death to persons, companion animals, or farm animals or a dog that attacks, without provocation, a service animal, guide dog, or hearing dog and causes serious physical injury or death. Dangerous Dog does not refer to a Police Work Dog while that dog is in the performance of official duties.
25) Working Search Dog means a dog that is trained to aid in the search of missing persons, is used for that purpose, and is registered to do so. Services by this dog will be offered free of charge or fee.
26) Therapy Dog is defined as a dog trained to aid the emotional and physical health of patients in hospitals, nursing homes, retirement homes, and other settings and is actually used for that purpose or a dog that is being trained by a recognized training center or bred for that purpose.
27) Detection Dog is a dog that is trained or undergoing training for the purpose of detecting controlled substances, explosives, ignitable liquids, firearms, cadavers, or school or correctional facility contraband and is actually being used for that purpose.
28) Physical Injury means impairment of physical condition or substantial pain.
29) Serious Physical Injury means an injury that creates a substantial risk of death, causes death, causes serious or protracted disfigurement, protracted impairment of health, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily organ.